1. Is AIDS funding eating up funding at the expense of more pressing health needs?
2. I’m deciding how funny I think it is that Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg.
3. India is accusing Pakistan of having a hand in the Mumbai massacre. That could derail the peace talks between the two countries. And if that happens it could throw a big wrench into the whole war on terror.
4. I read an interview with a guy about why churches fear abortion and gay rights. It boils down to the church being threatened by the breakdown of traditional families and the role of women in society and the church. Women want a bigger role in the church. Women are living without men and churches are losing their grip on power. Gays are the scapegoat. Abortion also represents a rejection of the traditional role of mothers. In that regard, the gay movement is closer to female rights than to Civil Rights because it’s an alternative to a traditional male-structured society. The true threat to families is male irresponsibility and mistreatment of women. Gay marriage isn’t a threat to families, because issues about and protection of family are the reason gays want marriage in the first place. The dude thinks the monotheistic “desert religions” need to be feminized.
5. The Mussina argument. Is the Hall of Fame getting too big? It’s meant to honor the great, not the very good. Is Don Sutton good enough to be in? What about Bert Blyleven? Sutton won 300+ games because he played forever. Blyleven only won 287 and pitched for lousy teams. Mike Mussina played for good teams, but was in a five-man rotation, losing 7-8 starts a year vs. what guys like Sutton and Blyleven did. Mussina’s winning percentage is better than a lot of guys with 300 wins. King Kaufman wants to lower the magic number to 250.
That would put in Bobby Mathews (297), Tommy John (288), Blyleven (287), Tony Mullane (284), Jim Kaat (283), Jim McCormick (265), Gus Weyhing (264) and Jack Morris (254).
6. I need to take a look at Ron Santo. I’ve been a proponent of him getting in to the Hall of Fame because I like him. I don’t even really know if he deserves it.
7. This heckler video is pretty entertaining.
8. This is a real book. I know because I’ve had lots of practice.
9. Shia Muslims are like Roman Catholics with Imans. Sunni Muslims are like Protestants. 90% of Muslims are Sunni. The rift started right after Muhammad’s death as people jockeyed for power. Shia believed Muhammad’s second cousin Ali should have taken over. The Sunni believed the leader should have been chosen by the followers.
Iraw is mostly Shia, but were oppressed under Saddam. Iran is Shia. Palestine is Sunni.
10. The Watchmen release is still a mess. If you’ve owned the rights for 20 years and haven’t made a movie, fuck off.